Business Information Center, Basrah
Address: St. Al Jasaier, Basrah City
The Basrah Business Information Center was established in October 2008 with funding support from the Local Area Development Program 'LADP', supported by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and the International Labor Organization (ILO). It joined the USAID-Tijara SBDC network in October 2010. The BIC serves as a source of information and support to owners of SMEs by providing them with advice, counseling and support to the establishment and expansion of their projects. It seeks to develop a vibrant SME sector in order to provide employment opportunities and promote balanced economic growth in Basrah Province. The BIC is registered under the umbrella of the Basrah Chamber of Commerce.
The BIC’s mission is to provide high quality training programs and advisory services to enable small and medium enterprises to adopt modern business practices, access new market opportunities, and expand their business operations.
Board of Directors Chairman: Mr. Ayad Radi Hasun.
- Mr. Emad Ghalib Asfoor, Executive Director.
- Shrooq Jasim Mohammad, Program Manager.
Full-time staff: Admin Assistant, IT Manager/Accountant.
Part-time staff: Marketing coordinator, (2) business consultants and trainers.
BIC Basrah at a Glance - Accomplishments to Date:
- Training programs - In 2011 the Basrah BIC has trained 133 participants in the Youth Entrepreneurs Access to Finance Program and 53 participants in the Youth Employment Program.
- Doing Business in Basrah Conference (1).
- Business Forums (1).
Current Services Offered at BIC Basrah:
- Business Skills Training and Business Consultancies for SMEs.
- Training programs: How to Start and Improve a Business.
- Employment Preparation and Placement Services.
- English and Computer Courses.
Business Relationships and Affiliations:
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Basrah Provincial Council
- Basrah universities
- Iraqi Businessmen’s Union
- Businesswomen’s Union
- Izdiharona MFI
- Turkish and French Consulates